Joseph S. Renzulli
July 7, 1936 -
American Educational Psychologist
- Student of:
- Influenced by:
- Time Period: Current Efforts
- Glassboro State College, B.A., 1958
- Rutgers University, M.Ed. in Ed. Psych., 1962
- Univ. of Virginia, Ed.D. in Ed. Psych., 1966
- 1958-1963, Teacher, Ocean Township, New Jersey
- 1966-1996, Professor of Educational Psychology, The University of
- 1996-, Raymond and Lynn Neag Professor of Gifted Education, The University
Three-ring model of giftedness promoted a broadened conception of giftedness.
Schoolwide Enrichment Model has become one of the most popular programs
for developing children's talents.
Ideas and Interests
Influenced by Dewey, Whitehead, Phenix, and others, Prof. Renzulli's
broadened conception of giftedness, with its emphasis on above average
ability, creativity, and task commitment, has been instrumental in changing
educators' views of intellectual talent. Using his educational models
(e.g., the Schoolwide Enrichment Model), thousands of teachers have applied
Dr. Renzulli's theoretical work to the classroom, where it has become
very popular and influential.
Renzulli's conception and models are significant because they encouraged
people to move away from Spearman's view of a psychometric, unitary intelligence
to a more malleable conception that allowed for diverse forms of assessment
- Renzulli, J.S. (1978). What Makes Giftedness? Reexamining a Definition.
Phi Delta Kappan, 60(3), 180-184, 261.
- Renzulli, J.S. (1994). Schools for talent development: A practical
plan for total school improvement. Mansfield Center, CT: Creative
- Renzulli, J.S., & Reis, S.M. (1985). The schoolwide enrichment
model: A comprehensive plan for educational excellence. Mansfield
Center, CT: Creative Learning Press.
Picture courtesy of Joseph S. Renzulli.
Personal Communication, April 29, 1998.
Home | Interactive
Map | Alphabetic Index | Time
Hot Topics | Map - PDF | References | Contributors | Comments
For further information please contact
Content questions: Dr. Jonathan
Plucker (jonathan.plucker AT uconn.edu)
Technical questions: Technology Co-Director (intelltheory AT gmail.com)
Copyright © 2013
29 April 2018